Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin: Forty Years of Funny Stuff by Calvin Trillin


"There was a discussion at my house recently about whether or not I am an uncultured oaf. This is not the first time the subject has come up."





We have the “parsimonious” Victor S. Navasky to thank. Many years ago, he commissioned the wonderful writer Calvin Trillin to write regularly for the Nation, the magazine, which Navasky then edited. The project was “a thousand words every three weeks or so for saying whatever’s on my mind, particularly if that’s what on my mind is marginally ignoble,” Calvin Trillin recalls in one of many essays in his new collection, Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin. That regular project combined with Trillin’s famous deadline poetry made him one of America’s foremost humorists.


The rest of my review can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment